Qatar Local Time

Latest Qatar News

Qatar announces free cancer treatment for its residents



A senior official with Hamad Medical Corportation (HMC) Oncology Department revealed that treatment of cancer will be free for all residents in Qatar henceforth.

Dr. Osama Al Homsi, the Chairman and Senior Consultant at HMC’s National Centre for Cancer Care and Research said that treatment at HMC is free for all residents.

Earlier, the state covered 80 percent of Oncology treatment for resident patients, while the rest 20 percent was paid for by the cancer patient. Now, the remaining 20 percent is also provided free to citizens and residents, he pointed out.

"With continuous progress in treatment of tumors and medicine in general, we are eager to bring everything new in the treatment of tumors, particularly with regard to drugs, especially immunological drugs, which have a good impact controlling diseases. With plenty of researches happening in this area, it leads to positive results. We are ready to import any medicine required for the health of our patients to be included in the list of recognized medicines in the country," he explained.

Offering free treatment to all patients would help many patients, as the 20 percent amount can be very large, given, the huge cost of cancer drugs. Dr. Al Homsi appreciated this decision made by the State and expressed his happiness.

As per statistics, the proportion of Qataris receiving treatment abroad has reduced considerably over the past years, with many now willing to receive treatment in Qatar.

Posted on 29/3/2018

Share This Page


Recent Articles

New laws announced on Permanent Residency for expats

Qatar among top ten most open countries in the world

Major landmark project Education City Golf Club soft launch in Oct 2018

Line up of shopping bonanza this Eid at Doha Festival City

Mall of Qatar lines up events to woo visitors this Eid Al Adha

Pakistani expats in Qatar can now renew identity cards, passports online

Qatar rapidly gaining popularity as a cruise destination

The Katara Expo unveiled to strengthen Qatari-Kuwaiti ties

Qatar Summer Festival opens with major attractions for families and shoppers

2022 Qatar World Cup training sites to be ready next year

 

Share This Page




Top