Attractions in Doha Qatar
Jazz at Lincoln Center, Doha
Jazz at Lincoln Center, a nonprofit New York City Jazz organization have established a permanent subsidiary in Doha with an extraordinary partnership with the St. Regis chain of luxury hotels. This New York-style jazz club is the second of five clubs that Jazz at Lincoln Center (JALC) and St. Regis hotels and resorts, a brand owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., planned to open abroad in the next five years.
Under the supervision of Wynton Marsalis, JALC moves forward with an inimitable vision for the continued development of the art of jazz through various programs like jazz hall of fame and concert series, television broadcasts, recordings, publications, weekly national radio programs, jazz appreciation curriculum for students, an annual high school jazz band competition, school jazz festivals, music publishing, children’s concerts and lectures. Wynton Marsalis has won nine Grammys in both jazz and classical, as well as becoming the first Jazz performer to ever win the Pulitzer Award for Music for his ‘Blood On The fields’, a music and oration masterpiece.
How to go?
The St. Regis Doha is perfectly located within Doha’s latest sea front destination at Al Gassar Resort in Doha's West Bay, near the Diplomatic District.
The unprecedented global partnership between the New York icons and St. Regis hotels created the first jazz venue at The St. Regis Doha and it developed organically over the course of two years. In 2011 , JALC, Doha produced Timeless is Modern, a limited edition jazz CD exclusively for the brand in tribute of St. Regis’ amazing international growth and unbelievable jazz history, which features a selection of 21 masterpiece of Duke Ellington performed by Marsalis and the celebrated Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. Still dedicated to the utmost level of virtuosity, Jazz at Lincoln Center with St. Regis continues to captivate and charm audiences around the world through jazz programs, special concerts and education programs. Along with the St. Regis Doha, the other two St. Regis hotels lined up to debut within a year in the Middle East are the St. Regis Abu Dhabi as well as St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort which are expected to open in December of this year. With the keenly expected inauguration of The St. Regis Mauritius Resort in September, St. Regis is committed to expand its portfolio and lure the visitors and jazz audiences.
The Jazz club was being built as part of a new $1 billion luxury hotel in Doha. With acoustics and sound system designed by SIA Acoustics, the 4,500 square foot JALC jazz club can accommodate 120 guests in a theatrical ambience that reminds a renowned jazz venue of the golden era. The hotel’s characteristic structural design showcases a modern design fused with conventional Arabic touches, an extraordinary addition to the city’s skyline with two 14-story beachfront towers offering splendidly appointed guest rooms. The St. Regis Doha also features luxury leisure facilities including a private beachfront, an Olympic size swimming pool, the first Remede Spa in the Middle East, 10 luxury pool-side cabanas, a fitness center and extensive meeting space.
Things to Remember
- The dress code for Jazz at Lincoln Center is evening stylish. Try to avoid T-shirts and sport shoes. Traditional dress is not permitted in line with local regulations.
- Children are not permitted in the club. Teens need to come with their legal guardian. However children are allowed during the family jazz afternoon once a month.
- The spectators are strongly encouraged to interact with the musicians; during the live sets, the audience has to refrain from speaking out loud allowing the focus to be on the performance.
- Waiters will be available discretely to serve beverage, food and snacks during the performances.
- Wynton Marsalis, Artistic Director of Jazz at Lincoln Center selects each bands personally and new bands appear every 2-4 weeks. The majority of the bands come from New York.
- All live performances are recorded. Every Thursday and Friday, the second and third sets are webcast around the world, allowing people to watch the performances online.
- Performances can be filmed with prior permission
The St. Regis Dining Reservations team is available every day via telephone and e-mail.
Address: St. Regis, Doha west bay, Doha, 14435 • Qatar
Dining Reservations at The St. Regis Doha
Jazz at Lincoln Center is open from 7:00pm until 1:00am
Share This Page
comments powered by Disqus