The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) has announced that Qatar is one of the first countries in the world to launch a new saliva-based Covid-19 test for all children in need of a Covid-19 test.
Some of the advantages of the saliva-based test are:
- It is less intrusive for children as the swab need not be inserted into the nose and back of the throat like in the usual standard swab tests being done at present.
- Saliva tests can be done by transferring saliva from the mouth into a sample pot.
- Studies across the world have been focusing on the use of saliva only swabs and the results have shown their effectiveness.
Meanwhile, Qatar has begun the second part of the fourth phase of the gradual lifting of restrictions from today, the 15th September. According to the Supreme Committee for Crisis and Management, it is necessary to continue adhering to the precautionary measures at all times, particularly, when restrictions are being lifted.
From the beginning of part two of phase four, the concerned authorities will continue to assess the situation and consider re-imposing or lifting some restrictions based on developments and health indicators.
Apart from the restrictions that have been lifted on 1st September, the second part of the phase four will include the following moves:
- Increasing the capacity of cinemas and theatres to 30 percent, provided, all precautionary measures are followed. Only those who are 18 years and above are allowed to enter.
- Reducing capacity of health clubs, gyms and public swimming pools to 30 percent, while also following all precautionary measures previously announced by relevant authorities.
The Committee also emphasizes that evaluation of lifting of restrictions and further measures to be imposed will depend on the way everyone cooperates, and to the extent the precautionary measures are being followed.